LA VILLE-LUMIERE

>> Thursday, November 20, 2008

Bonjour,

I can't believe that it has been almost two months since our arrival here in La Ville-Lumiere, quite literally The Light City or City of Light. So, how did Paris come to be known as The City of Light?

Well, at first glance, one would think that it may have originated from the beauty that emanates from this city at night. The magic of the nights here are something I have only recently discovered in my wanderings. As the sun sets it seems as though this breath-taking city only gets more beautiful. As night falls, it is like rediscovering everything all over again. Buildings become lit in spectacular fashion as the boulevards sparkle with the arrival of the Christmas season. The Louvre emits a green glow, the Eiffel Tower sparkles on the horizon, the square in front of Hotel de Ville is aglow, and Notre Dame seems to hold mysteries beneath its shadows. It's an amazing experience and one that should not be missed if you are ever in the neighbourhood!





After my new found discovery, I was sure that I had found the answer as to why I am living in the City of Light. But, alas, the beauty of the evenings here in Paris are not the reason it recieved it's infamous name. The name actually originates from Paris' fame as a center for education and ideas as well as it's early adoption of electrical street lighting. The first 'electric candles' were used to light the Grand Magasins du Louvre and later the Champs Elysees. Since then, Parisians have made the lighting of buildings into an art form and I must say it is simply magnificant. It really does take your breath away! C'est incroyable!

1 comments:

Hagbag November 21, 2008 at 10:22 PM  

Great job on the blog redo Jacie. Especially luv the french music....nice touch! Wendy and I googled your street last weekend and were wondering if you were living above a laundromat at #8 ???? We did a 360 of the street. I have pinned out all the locations on my map that you mentioned on the blog. I'm quickly running out of pins.

Luv, Brian & Wendy

living in Paris

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP